(Ord. of 4-6-14; Ord. No. 97-30, 7-24-97)
SEC. 14-003.00 Fires For Yard Debris
(A) Except as provided in (D) herein below, the burning of leaves and yard debris, such as pine needles, pine cones, shrubs, brush and cut timber shall not be a violation of this Chapter, provided that:
(1) The fire area shall not be greater than eight (8) feet in diameter;
(2) The height of burning materials shall not be greater than four (4) feet;
(3) Burning shall only occur between sunrise and one hour before sunset;
(4) The fire site shall not be unattended;
(5) A functional water hose shall be located next to the fire site;
(6) The fire site shall be located at least 10 feet from the nearest property line;
(7) There shall be no more than one (1) fire site per homesite or parcel of land;
(8) The fire site shall be located at least fifty (50) feet from any structure, if nearer than fifty (50) feet from a structure a container must be used;
(9) The fire shall not emit dense smoke, noxious fumes, gas, soot or cinders in unreasonable quantities so as to violate Section 14-001.00 above.
A violation of any of the above restrictions may result in the fire site being considered a nuisance under this chapter.
(B) The above restrictions that are set forth in subparagraph one (1) through eight (8) shall not apply in the event that the controlled fire or open burning of leaves and yard debris, as stated herein, is located a distance of one thousand (1000 ) feet or more from the nearest dwelling. However, such controlled fire or open burning of leaves shall not present a fire hazard and, as provided in subparagraph nine (9) hereinabove, shall not emit dense smoke, noxious fumes, gas, soot or cinders in unreasonable quantities so as to violate Section 14-001.00 above.
(Ord. No. 08-1826, adopted 06/05/2008)
(C) The provisions of this section are not intended nor shall they lessen the responsibility of all persons to abide by other ordinances of this Parish, and laws of this State governing the matters herein addressed.
1. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (A) herein above, the provisions of Section 8-018.01 or any other provision, the burning of leaves and yard debris, such as pine needles, pine cones, shrubs, brush and cut timber in the following areas is strictly prohibited to-wit:
(a) Those areas of Council District 4 that are located east of the Tchefuncte River. Accordingly, and for clarification, those areas of Council District 4 situated west of the Tchefuncte River, which areas are currently within the boundaries of voting precincts MD1 and 102, are not included within the prohibition.
(b) The area bounded on the north by Interstate 12, on the south by the north bank of Ponchitolawa Creek, on the west by the eastern bank of the Tchefuncte River and on the east by the western right of way of US Highway 190, which area was formerly within the boundaries of Council District 4 and comprises the area within the current boundaries of voting precinct 306.
2. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (A) herein above, the provisions of Section 8-018.01 or any other provision, the burning of leaves and yard debris, such as pine needles, pine cones, shrubs, brush and cut timber on any lot or parcel of land less than 12,600 square feet in size within any Parish approved subdivision is strictly prohibited.
(Amended by Ord. No. 05-1213, adopted 12/01/2005, amended by Ord. No. 09-2128, adopted 09/03/2009; amended by Ord. No. 11-2614, adopted 10/06/2011).